Sunday, April 30, 2006

If I hear this word one more time. . .

Okay. I admit it. I'm thirty. I'm no longer as down with the lingo as I used to be. In fact, I was a nerd in high-school so I wasn't that down with the lingo then either. A couple of years ago, I worked for Starbucks and was surrounded by 17-21 year olds. Took me forever to figure out that when the 17 year old called me 'Homes' [as in 'W'sup homes?'] he did not mean 'Holmes' [as in Sherlock - I'm rather book smart but clearly short on street smarts]. So I'm slow on learning the new terms. I do know what it means for someone to be 'all up in your grill' [in your face] and I've got a pretty good handle on how to use 'for shizzle' [for sure - I think. I actually haven't had that confirmed].

But what is with the current trend of calling your significant other 'boo?' As in:
You're my boo.
I love you, boo.
My boo and I are going out.

I don't fraking get it! The only things I think of when I hear boo are:
Halloween
The Cute little girl from Monsters, Inc. [My nephew used to watch it so many times that my mum and I actually miss it now!]
Boo-Boo -Definition 1: I fell off my bike and scraped my knee and now my mum is going to put some polysporin on my boo-boo.
Boo-Boo - Definition 2: I was supposed to back up the database before I tried to fix it, but now it's completely broken and I can't even restore it. My boo-boo.

You know, all I can say is that if someone called me his boo, that would be a deal-breaker. While I'm a girly-girl, I'm also quite practical and utilitarian so the thought of someone applying such an idiotic term to me makes me cringe. And if anyone did apply such a term to me, he clearly does not know me.

Don't let yourself be called boo. Really. It's akin to when grown women wear pyjamas with fuzzy animals on them. It's wrong wrong wrong.



Totally off-topic note: so I was on Mirriam Webster getting the spelling of a word today [I'm such a bad speller] and I saw that the word of the day was 'cunctation.' Doesn't that sound totally dirty? Like you would get detention if you used it in high-school! Or your mama would slap you for saying it in the house. But in reality it means 'delay.'

No comments: