Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Guy Named Jack

I was talking with Jenge the other day, and I asked her, what is it with the name Jack? It seems to be Hollywood's de riguer response to a character that needs a solid name. A man of action, yet one who may be slightly emotionally tortured and probably carries some emotional baggage. A guys guy. Someone the men in your life wanna be him and wanna hang out with him - have a couple of beers with the guy. The women want to date him - possibly rescue him, depending on the situation. I'm so over JACK! I've decided I'm NEVER using the name in any of my books.

Think I'm nuts? Check out my list:

Jack Ryan - The Hunt for Red October
Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Carribean
Jack Traven - Keanu Reeves in Speed
Jack Twist - Brokeback Mountain
Jack Bauer - 24
Jack Bristow - Sydney's dad on Alias
Jack O'neill - Richard Dean Anderson on Stargate
Jack Shephard - Matthew Fox on Lost
Jack Tripper - Three's Company
Jack Malone - Without a trace
Jack Dawson - Titanic

It only took me 5 minutes to make that list. imagine if I had really tried....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Jack-ass. Porita wants to add Jack Russel Terrier.

Anonymous said...

Jack be nimble, jack and the beanstalk. jack and jill